Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Back from the past


Well after a long & yet a boring ride, I'm as free as a bird......literately.

These few weeks I noticed people around me young or old, are seriously changing fast, time really flew pass me.
Today marked a day to be remembered where I 1st started teaching in the competitive swimming a few years ago.
I remembered my on my 1st day, I was well unknown like an alien to the bunch of students except for a few promoted beginners whom were under me before.
I was confused to be honest as not knowing what to do or how to start.
My boss told me just watch and learn or try and error haha.
It wasn't a pleasant feeling especially when confronting 30+ students as I'm used to teach beginners and not competitive swimmers.
The unpleasant feeling soon went away as confidence started to overwhelm me.
It soon became excitement and bullet-proof ego but this attitude made me even vulnerable.
I was
a basketball coach before I started this.
My temper, lets just say I adapted the RED HOT temper from coaching my basketball team haha.
Well, I thought if I were to apply the same method into the swimming class I might as well be easy off.
Yes, it was but soon I realize I'm WRONG, terribly WRONG. Basketball and swimming are 2 different sports as land and water sports are totally different.
I at the similar time, stopped coaching basketball and left the coaching to a good friend of mine.
I started to observe every movement and attitude of all the students.
Trying to not just make them listen to me but to be able to capture their heart.
When I look at them swim with their full effort, they reminded me of myself before I sustained the fatal injury on my knees and back.
I trained day and night just trying my luck to get into the states team basketball.
But when I was finally called up for the audition, an incident left me stranded for the rest of my life. I blamed no one for my own stupidity and clumsiness.
I cried day after days and soon before I realize I turned into a fat flabby useless depressed boy.
Every time I walked I felt like a thousand needles stabbing through my knees and when I tried to move a little bit vigorously I pant not from exhaustion but from the pain I suffering.
I spent so much time, so much effort, so much sweat, so much energy and so much money on my dreams, my hope, my ONE and only inspiration, it was all for nothing haha.
I fell deep down very deep till then I felt a string rope tied around me was pulling me back to the surface. What was that strong emotional feeling?
My depression finally ended, I no longer just sit down waiting for miracles to happen.
I took up studies in sports injuries sucking as much knowledge about my injury as possible and come up with a cure for it. But there was no cure there is actually no cure.
I thus learnt about acupuncture and came across a place in PJ.
Got myself well done, may not be perfect but I'm free from a lot of pain. The pain I felt reduced dramatically and soon I'm back with sports step by step.
Coming back to the question just now. The answer was the determination faces of the students, the kids motivated me with their unwillingly to back down from failure and trying harder to fulfill their desired timing, this pulled me out of the endless pit of depression.
I owe them for this, as they changed me forever, I am now cheerful and optimistic and my life is filled with joy and fun.
I played back basketball, may not be as agile and great as ever but at least I'm doing something i have always love to do.
I learnt 2 very valuable experience from all this commotion.
  • In life, we all tend to learn from each another regardless of age, gender, race and even status. All we need to do is respect each another, have an open minded and willingly to share, the road ahead of us is a smooth one.
  • Failure is nothing but a lesson thought by life itself, study it, analyze it, experience it, improve it and most importantly LIVE it. Giving up will never be your vocabulary as living to the fullest is SUCCESS itself.
Buddha:

If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change.

2 comments:

_VeL_ said...

why u so emo? talking about all this.

btw, the acupuncture place. is it the jalan gasing that one? wayne and i went over today. his hand injured. HahaHaha

_VeL_ said...

oh ya. u changed ur layout wo. lol

get a chatbox la.

www.cbox.ws
the one in my blog. =)